Playing around in the middle of the night last night when I couldn’t sleep: as my first app, I was writing the ultimate Droid Valentines Day App.
The app was to run during Valentines day and with random time intervals, send texts from an array to my wife such as “I love you” “Thought I forgot Valentines’ day didn’t you?” etc.
Lessons in App development
In my attempt to write an app & automate my life, I though I would share some things I learned:
- Test, and then DAMN IT test some more. Especially, if you are writing code in the middle of the night.
- You really should put a min wait before looping again – random to me is different than random to a computer.
- You should put a max time wait before looping again – random to me is different than random to a computer.
- You should learn the difference between seconds and milliseconds <<– !important
- In this case, once a variable from an array is used, you should eliminate it from being used again.
- If you don’t get 1-5 right, it is possible for your app to send 75 texts in less than 5 minutes in the middle of the night.
- My wife does not appreciate the automation of the expression of love.